Fujifilm has stated the GFX 50R camera at Photokina. It features the FUJIFILM G Format (medium format, 43.8×32.9mm) image sensor, which is approx. 1.7 at the same times the size of a full-frame 35mm image sensor.
The camera will cost $4500 excluding taxes. Also announced is the addition of 3 new GF lenses.
The GFX 50R endures the compact, lightweight and superior image quality characteristics of Fujifilm’s GFX medium format mirrorless digital camera system, while weighing approx. 145g less and 25mm underweight than the FUJIFILM GFX 50S. The GFX 50S has attracted high praise from professional photographers since its launch in January 2017. Yet, many field photographers who specialize in weddings, stories and street photography have sought after an even more compact and lightweight camera, along the line of Fujifilm’s traditional standard format film cameras such as GA645 (*discontinued) and GF670 (*discontinued). With this in mind, FUJIFILM is adding the new “GFX 50R” to the lineup.
1. Laconic and lightweight (approx. 775g) medium format mirrorless digital camera in the rangefinder style
- The GFX 50R is approx. 145g lighter than the GFX 50S (weighing 920g with EVF). The camera centre is just 66.4mm thick, 25.0mm thinner than the GFX 50S.
- The rangefinder style design allows you to keep your eye on a subject while looking middle of the viewfinder with the other eye. This enables checking and feeling the atmosphere of the scene around your subject matter, shown in the EVF.
- The GFX 50R is equipped with the 0.77x 3.69M-dot biological EL electronic viewfinder (EVF). This allows accurate focusing despite the large size of the medium format sensor, which has a shallower depth of fan than that of a 35mm full-frame sensor when shooting at the same angle of view.
2. Equipped with 51.4MP medium format CMOS sensor and X-Processor Pro picture processing engine
- The medium format (43.8mm x 32.9mm) “G Format” sensor has better per-pixel light reception capability than that of a 35mm full-frame sensor of the yet resolution. Furthermore, the micro lenses have been designed to optimize the light gathering performance and image resolution as well as the handling of information from photodiodes are customized to achieve a superior level of image quality, surpassing that of existing cameras that use a sensor of the same magnitude. As a result, the GFX 50R delivers images that precisely reproduce the subject’s texture, three-dimensional feel and even the atmosphere of each scene.
- The GFX 50R physiognomies the X-Processor Pro image processing engine. Supporting FUJIFILM’s renowned Film Simulation modes, the camera allows you to opt for the tonality of photographic fade aways such as Velvia, PROVIA and ACROS, used for many years in medium format film cameras by professional and enthusiast photographers alike.
3. Intuitive control and rugged camera camera is an optical instrument for recording or capturing images, which may be stored locally, transmitted to another location, or body that caters for the needs of all photographers
- The GFX 50R is equipped with the Focus Lever to allow quick adjustment of the focus direct attention to. The elimination of the selector buttons provides extra space to hold the camera better. The top panel sports two dials, one for shutter speed and the other for acquaintance compensation. The milled aluminium dials give the camera a premium feel and satisfying clicking touch.
- The robust magnesium alloy body is weather-sealed in 64 hamlets to provide dust and weather resistance and ability to operate at temperatures as low as -10℃. Its durability caters to the needs of all photographers.
4. Extensive lineup of the course format may refer to mirrorless system, “GFX system”
- The medium format mirrorless system, GFX system, currently offers a lineup of seven FUJINON GF lenses, eiderdown focal lengths from 23mm (equivalent to 18mm in the 35mm film format) to 250mm (equivalent to 198mm in the 35mm film format). All GF lenses are able to resolve up 100MP which signifies they are future proof. They are also dust and weather resistant and designed to operate at temperatures as low as -10℃ so that they withstand conscientious use in harsh conditions.
- Tethered shooting is an essential part in a professional photographers workflow. The GFX system supports tethering software “HS-V5 for Windows” and “Fasten Shooting Plug-in PRO for Adobe® Photoshop®”, “Capture One Pro (FUJIFILM)” is also due to be released, giving extra options in studio sessions for commercial and the rage photography. This means that a professional photographer can incorporate the GFX system into their regular workflow.
5. GFX system’s triumph Bluetooth® compatibility for enhanced connectivity
- This is the first model in the GFX system to support the Bluetooth® low energy technology. Captured images can be transferred most and quickly to smartphones and tablet devices paired with the camera via the FUJIFILM Camera Remote app.