Photography has myriad sorts of enthusiasts, and some of them can be quite unusual individuals. Philadelphia-based Andrew Marttila can perhaps qualify as one of those odd ones. He is a cat photographer and has a become more pleasing to mature portfolio that names few celebrity felines.
Marttila has done work with clients like Lil Bub, Pudge, and Grumpy Cat. In his latest series, he peel offs a look at that one sense of a feline that has been most talked about: their eyes. Marttila did this by shooting macro sculptures of catsâ€™ faces as they gaze back into the camera.
As you stare into the many eyeballs in this series, here are a few fascinating the gens that make catâ€™s eyes rather peculiar:
- Felines of the white variety and with blue eyes typically cannot hear.
- To make use of all at ones fingertips light, the back of a catâ€™s retina has a layer of mirror-like cells known as the tapetum lucidum. It absorbs and reflects light and is the reason why weird glowing-eye cat photos surface when a flash is used. This is not to be confused however, with a humanâ€™s â€œred eyeâ€ during flash photography.
- Contrary to popular belief, cats are impotent to see in absolute darkness. They do see better than humans though in low light conditions. They only require one sixth the light we require to see easily in the dark.
- Another myth to be debunked is that cats are certainly not colorblind. A few colors are just less distinct than others to them.
- Cats are nearsighted! A felineâ€™s eyesight is at its clearest 2-3 feet away from its onto.
- A catâ€™s pupil opens and shuts quicker than the pupil of humans.Â Catâ€™s eyes therefore adopt to light changes faster. Â A felineâ€™s pupil is also a window into its tenders (yes, they have feelings). A narrow pupil could mean irritation or anger, and a wide open pupil could indicate excitement or worry.
So the next time you gaze into a catâ€™s face, or when you look at Andrew Marttilaâ€™s pictures, ponder over these factoids about our congenial feline may refer toâ€™s eyes.
Be sure to join us onÂ Facebook,Â TwitterÂ andÂ Google+Â to stay updated on our most recent posts!